Saturday 19 October 2013

Thursday 10th October 2013, day 91 - Last full day in Tofino

I was mystified in the morning when I couldn't find my key to the dorm room. I'd gone out to the toilet during the night and remembered putting the key on top of my book when I got back. I looked everywhere, twice, and couldn't find it. Only when Adele returned from breakfast and asked what I was looking for did I find out: she'd accidentally picked it up with her purse or something, which she'd unknowingly put on top of it earlier. She was very apologetic, but I didn't mind, I hadn't lost it completely!

Maxi left at 11:15am to go surfing and, because she really wanted to see Long Beach and it was our last day, I spent a while trying to find out how we might be able to do so that afternoon. There are buses that go from Tofino to Long Beach - but only in the summer. To walk there would take three hours, one way, along the highway, so nobody does that. Cycling would also be along the highway and bikes rented for the 'day' have to be returned by 4pm. Maxi wouldn't be back until mid-afternoon so, unless we were willing to hitch-hike (which we weren't), we would not be able to go, which was a shame.

For lunch I bought a portion of soup at the supermarket and took it to a park, and sat in the sun gazing at the amazing view for an hour and a half and watching the seaplanes taking off. The cheese-and-broccoli soup had smelled nice and was two dollars cheaper than the Thai coconut chicken but, though I didn't dislike it, I'd have definitely preferred the other. I met Maxi on the way back to the hostel, and after she'd rid her hair of sea salt we ended up going to the park I'd left not an hour before and sitting there awhile. She suggested we have Toast Hawaii for dinner, so we went to the supermarket and bought some ham, those rubbish plastic-like cheese slices and tinned pineapple.

We still had pasta, tomato sauce, courgette and pepper to use up so we cooked all that, and put it into two containers to take for lunch on the bus the next day, before making dinner. The ham goes on top of the bread, and a ring of pineapple on top of that, and finally the cheese; it was really good, though towards the end we found that one slice of cheese, not two, would have sufficed. I wanted nothing except a glass of orange juice - something really healthy-feeling - after eating that. We had the remaining pineapple rings and warmed the rest of the cookies we'd bought the day before, for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment